Tuesday, September 28, 2010

June 2008 - Award Acceptance at Sephardic Bikur Holim

In June 2008 SBH awarded me a plaque for the computer training I do. My cousin Dr. Victor Grazi is on the SBH staff and was in the audience.

I feel like a fraud accepting an award for something I love so much.

A funny story happened to me recently - People call me all of the time with computer questions and I try to help them as much as possible.

But this woman was really brazen calling at 11:30PM on a weekday night.

She said it was a real emergency and so I listened.
She told me it was her daughter and I thought oh no - she wants me to go to her daughter's house.
She told me it was in Lakewood and I thought oh no - she wants me to go to Lakewood.
Then she told me it was a virus and I thought oh no - she wants me to get rid of a computer virus!

And suddenly after about 60 seconds of this the incongruity of the whole conversation hit me - Do you want Victor Grazi the computer guy or Victor Grazi the Doctor?

I really love the training - I love when my students get that Aha! moment of understanding.
And I really love when they call me from their jobs to ask me how to perform some specific task.
But mostly I love when they call me to tell me they can't come to my class anymore because they found a job.

You guys should be very proud of your accomplishments - you find people, you feed them, then you train them and you find them jobs, and I think that is an amazing thing.

May your services never be required but as long as they are may you continue to provide them with strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment